Create scholarly, visually rich digital books that last
Online ∙ Print ∙ E‑book
Quire is a modern, multiformat publishing tool designed for longevity, discoverability, and scholarship. Using a single set of plain text files, Quire creates books as authoritative and enduring as print and as vibrant and feature-rich as the web—all without paying a fee or maintaining a complicated server.
Created by Getty, free to use.
Quire is an ideal solution for anyone seeking to publish beautiful digital books optimized for visual imagery and designed to ensure widely accessible and stable content.
Quire allows for greater preservation and digital distribution of works in a simplified format.
—Kris Thayer, Minneapolis Institute of Art
- Affordable No proprietary software or ongoing maintenance fees required
- Discoverable Increase visibility by publishing as PDF, e-book, website, or print-on-demand
- Sustainable Based around static site generation and plain text files ensuring stability and longevity
- Book-like Built-in understanding of high-quality, scholarly publishing with clean, modern design
- Accessible Outputs accessible online editions, targeting full WCAG2.0 conformance
- Open Access Follows open-source standards with goal of official open-source launch in spring 2022
San José Museum of Art
Collection Catalogue | 2020
Quire user: @aheltonsjma
Duke University Digital Art History & Visual Culture Research Lab
Report | 2021
Quire user: @hlj24
The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
Collection Catalogue | 2021
Quire user: @salger1
The Graphics Office
Exhibition Catalogue | 2020
Quire user: @natalienardello
Journal | 2020
Quire user: @swambold1
Features & Functionality
Allows for a wide range of possible custom features and styles
Expands rich scholarship with embedded audio, video, deep-zooming images and more
Multiformat output from a single set of source files speeds production without duplicating effort
Keeps source content in nonspecialized plain text to ensure reusability
The Quire Community
Quire is used by a growing community of scholars, publishers, curators, developers, and the digitally curious. The Quire community is vibrant and diverse, representing a broad spectrum of institutions that provide vital scholarship in the arts and humanities, at all sizes and scales. We support and empower our community at every level of technical experience. All are welcome.